My Love Letters to the Dirty South up at Juke Joint

Hey you all, it's been a busy summer. And I'm a loosey goosey blogger. These poems should have been up here by now, because I'm pleased as punch to have them published over at Juke Joint. How beautiful it is to have your words picked up and loved on by kindred spirits who celebrate the things and places I love, the Dirty South. A Skoal ring isn't ever just a Skoal ring. Go like, go follow, go friend Juke Joint today.



To C, at 41
This is to say the cabinet is bare
Once this honey is eaten there is none
No lemons to pulp
And all that’s here is some white rice
Say we had a door
The wolves would be at it
This is the Civil War
And a letter like this letter sets out
On horse, to you in some distant theater

Does this find you well?
The children ask for hot dogs

I can’t remember when I did not love you
Can’t see a thing before you popped corn in a wok
Back to me, all tattoos
And the ghost of a Skoal ring
You dipped your fingers in a bowl of sea salt and tossed it
A magician or revival charlatan
The salt coarse and suspended in the air
I ran I hid but your salt
Followed me to the coats I was under
Melted on my lips

Please send more lemons
Bring the lemons yourself
The weight of your chest is heaviest when you are gone 

Lynchburg, probably

My grandmother fed 16 cats on paper plates
wet brown lumps soaking through those plates
but the cats ate fast hard pink tongues working
and it wasn’t long before just grease circles on paper
my grandmother’s back hump
loping back up to the house bathroom outside outhouse
her foreign tongue headscarf like a Russian grandma but not Russian
grease in a Maxwell House can
the hump was the last I saw of her of that house
before she slipped away into the Blue Ridge fog with a nosebleed
came back 25 years later came at me face to face
defiant looking for a fight
I am like you she said child bride squinting and hair cut short
blood feathering up in my throat in her throat
her eyes so blue they burned
blue even in the black and white photograph









Comments

Popular Posts